Holiday Side Dishes: Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Apples
Tangy with a hint of sweetness, this vegetable side dish gets mouth-watering notes of smokiness from our pastured pork bacon. These Brussels have a kick of spicy heat that is mellowed by the creaminess of roasted apples. Delicious!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (preferably organic), trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups Honeycrisp apples (about 2-3 apples), cored and cut into bite-sized dice
- 1/4 pound Stemple Creek Bacon (about 5 strips), cut into 1/2" dice
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on desired level of heat).
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Place the cleaned Brussel sprouts in a large mixing bowl with the apples and bacon.
- In a small bowl combine cider vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Pour over the Brussel sprouts mixture.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour Brussels onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake on center oven rack for 45-50 minutes, or until sprouts are just browned and bacon is crispy. *Stir half way through baking to insure even roasting.
- Serve immediately.