Crisp tender green beans are wrapped with Stemple Creek Bacon and brushed with a simple brown sugar glaze that caramelizes as they roast. Easy to put together, these bundles make an impressive presentation at the holiday dinner table!
- 6 slices Stemple Creek Bacon, cut in half
- 1.5 pounds green beans, *preferably Blue Lake variety (figure 6 beans per bundle)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a frying pan, warm bacon on the stovetop until just slightly cooked (not crispy!) Set aside. *Reserve bacon drippings.
- Wash and trim ends of green beans. Bring a large pot of water to boiling. Add baking soda, then add green beans. Cook 3 minutes. Drain and place beans in an ice water bath for 5 minutes to stop further cooking.
- Drain beans from ice water bath. Pat dry with a flour sack towel.
- In a large bowl, combine reserved bacon drippings and garlic powder. Add green beans and toss to coat.
- To assemble: bundle 6 green beans together and wrap with 1/2 piece of bacon. Skewer with a toothpick to hold bacon in place. Repeat until all beans are used.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place green bean bundles, bacon seam side down, on the pan. Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to dab the bean bundles with sugar/water glaze. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt & pepper.
- Roast on center oven rack for 20 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and beans are lightly roasted.
- Arrangel bundles on a serving dish and serve warm.
*Add a pinch of baking soda to the boiling water before cooking, and the beans will retain their bright green color!