Cook up a batch of these easy, fall-off-the-bone tender pork carnitas for Cinco de Mayo, then create a backyard taco or burrito bar for an instant party. Just add margaritas and some good salsa music! *Omit sour cream and cheese if following a Paleo/Whole30 plan. For Keto-friendly, serve with cauliflower rice instead of tortillas and all the fixins.
Our grass fed and finished Pork Butt and Pork Shoulder are seasonal items. Please check our web store for availability.
- 2 lbs. Stemple Creek pork shoulder or butt
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded & sliced *may substitute 1 Tbl. hot sauce of choice
- 2 Tbl. adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers)
- 2 oranges, halved
- Sprinkle pork shoulder/butt with salt and pepper.
- Combine oregano, cumin, and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk until mixed into a paste. Rub paste all over the pork, and place in the slow cooker.
- Top with onion, garlic, jalapeño, and adobo sauce. Squeeze juice from orange halves over pork, and add the rinds to the cooker.
- Cover and cook low and slow for 8 - 10 hours. Turn off heat and let cool. Pork should pull apart easily with two forks and mix with the reduced cooking juices.
- Serve in tortillas of choice (taco or burrito style) with sides of shredded mexican cheese, diced tomato, shredded lettuce, chopped cilantro, chopped red onion, sour cream, and avocado slices (or whatever you like!).