Creamy, tangy and delicious, this soul satisfying chicken entree is destined to become your new family favorite. It's the perfect one-pot fall/winter dinner over mashed potatoes with a side salad.
Creamy Dijon-Herb Chicken
Serves 2-4 depending on portion size per person
Total prep & cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- (1) pkg. Stemple Creek Ranch Organic Whole Chicken Legs, skin on
- sea salt/ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbl. Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 cup Organic Chicken Stock or bone broth
- 10-15 whole sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 Tbl. creme fraiche (we love Bellwether Farms)
- 6 Tbl. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbl. Whole grain Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Season chicken legs all over with salt & pepper.
- Melt ghee in a large oven-proof dutch oven or cast iron skillet over medium heat, and sear chicken leg portions on both sides until browned (about 5 minutes per side). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add sliced shallot & onion to the same cooking pan, and saute for about 5 minutes until lightly browned and translucent.
- Add chicken stock/bone broth to pan, scraping browned bits off the bottom.
- Add thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in creme fraiche and mustards until incorporated. Arrange chicken in single layer on top of the onion/shallot/herb mixture.
- Place pan in the oven (center rack) and bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through. Remove from oven, and remove herb sprigs/bay leaf from sauce before serving.
- Serve chicken nestled in a mound of mashed potatoes with mustard sauce over the top.