This Southern-inspired comfort food recipe features our pork Applewood Smoked Bacon and spicy Andouille Sausage in a base of creamy, cheesy grits topped with sautéed shrimp and fresh, garlicky greens! It's a meal in a bowl that will warm your heart and feed your soul.
For the grits:
- 5 strips Stemple Creek Ranch Applewood Smoked Bacon (cooked & diced)
- 2 Stemple Creek Ranch Andouille Sausages, cooked and sliced.
- 18 medium sized raw shrimp (tail on), quick sautéed.
- 2 bunches chard, stems removed, steamed and rough chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups instant grits
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 3 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup soft cream cheese with garlic & herbs (like Boursin brand)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and slice bacon, Andouille sausage and shrimp as directed in the Ingredient section. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil and minced garlic until fragrant. Add streamed chard and toss to coat. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Set aside.
- To make the grits, heat milk and broth until just boiling in a large pot.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in instant grits and butter and whisk until incorporated. Stir in garlic & herb cream cheese until melted and creamy.
- Stir in chopped bacon, and sliced Andouille.
- Spoon grits into large shallow bowls. Top with mounds of garlicky greens and (3) shrimp per serving.
- Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt and ground pepper if desired.