Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
The changing seasons inspire the way we eat. As the warm days of summer give way to the chill of fall, we begin to crave heartier fare. This stunning but easy recipe for Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is the ultimate comfort food. The substantial mushroom caps serve as a bowl for our grass-fed ground beef baked with tomato sauce, herbs, and lots of melted cheese on top. Serve these mushrooms nestled on a mound of mashed potatoes with a simple green salad and you've got a dish fit for royalty!
- 4 medium Portobello mushrooms, brushed clean & stems removed
- olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons herb seasoning blend
- pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup favorite chunky tomato pasta sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce + extra for topping
- 12 oz. package shredded mozzarella cheese
- *Preheat oven to 375*
- Using the edge of a spoon, scrape out the filaments on the inside of the mushroom cap, leaving the shell intact. Brush the outer mushroom shell with olive oil and place on a foil-covered baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes at 375* on the center rack of the oven. Remove mushrooms from the oven when done and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and sauté until translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add ground beef and chop up with a wooden spoon to cook evenly. Sprinkle with herb seasoning blend & pepper to taste.
- When the meat is no longer pink, add the pasta sauce and mix to coat. *If the sauce is too juicy, continue to cook until the excess liquid evaporates.
- Coat the inner shell of each cooked mushroom with a teaspoon of prepared pesto sauce. Top with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the beef-tomato mixture. Sprinkle generously with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Put stuffed mushrooms back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and ingredients are heated through. Finish with a dollop of pesto if desired.
COOKING NOTES: *Serve on a mound of mashed potatoes