Grass Fed Beef Osso Bucco
There's nothing quite so satisfying as braised beef cooked "low and slow" until the meat reaches fall-off-the-bone tenderness. This Italian inspired comfort food recipe for Beef Osso Bucco (inspired by Taste of Divine blogger Christine Devlin) is just the thing when you're craving a flavorful and filling one-pot meal.
This perfect make ahead dinner will fill your home with the savory aromas of beef shank simmering in a base of chopped veggies, herbs, broth, and red wine.
It's a simple main course that stands alone, or can be ladeled over polenta or mashed potatoes. Serve with a side salad of field greens and get ready to accept the compliments!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Stemple Creek Ranch beef shanks (look for ones with a lot of marrow)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 cups low sodium beef stock or bone broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season shanks generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a deep cast iron pan (preferred) or dutch oven, and sear the meat on high heat for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly browned. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute on medium heat until browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine to deglaze pan. Cook for a few minutes until wine is reduced by half. Add tomato paste and stir.
- Return the meat to the pan, and add bay leaf, thyme, and enough stock to cover meat most of the way (doesn't have to be submerged).
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a light simmer. Cover the pan and leave the lid slightly ajar. Simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours (or even more), until the meat is falling off the bone. *Take care to monitor the liquid and add more broth if necessary.
- Remove the meat and continue simmering the liquid, uncovered, until it has reduced into a sauce (approximately 15 minutes).
- Serve the Osso Bucco in bowls topped with the reduced sauce & juices.
COOKING NOTES: Cook and Prep Time: 4 hours, 30 minutes.